12.03.2010

High school football player gets flagged for praying



I could sit here and say that even as an atheist I find this penalty ridiculous. I could also say that a player shouldn’t be penalized for a modest celebration or gesture whether religious or not. Furthermore I could say that this referee was being a bit too sensitive to the rules governing unsportsmanlike conduct. I could say all of that. But I’m not going to say that because it’s just too easy, goddamn it.

Damn straight you got a flag, buddy. You think busting an awesome touchdown run complete with great cutbacks and broken tackles entitles you to kneel and point to the sky? After the game, Mr. Play-and-Pray tried to explain himself:

“I do that to give glory to my heavenly father, Jesus.”

Oh really? Let’s see how the referee called this one during the game:

“Personal foul: praying to a supernatural deity whose existence cannot be empirically verified. Fifteen yard penalty will be assessed on the kickoff.”

Ok, so I made up the ref’s quote. But maybe we rationalists should start carrying little yellow flags around to throw at people who commit penalties against reason. Although this could be dangerous because living in America, I think I’d tear my rotator cuff.

ps: I’ll give this kid a break when he starts to give god credit for his failures as well as his successes.

- Max

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/05/2010

    Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/08/2010

    Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site by accident, I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails