5.08.2009

Suicidal Dreaming

The other night I had the most vivid dream I’ve probably ever had—one that left an indelible impression on my mind, and one I feel compelled to convey in a post. In the dream I found myself peering down at the Merrimack River whooshing beneath this rickety bridge on whose edge I was standing. For those who aren’t familiar with it, the mighty Merrimack is a long snaking river that slinks its way down from central New Hampshire into northeastern Massachusetts where it makes a hard left and a mad dash for the Atlantic. During the heyday of America’s textile industry, the Merrimack powered the glum brick textile mills of Lowell, Lawrence and Haverhill, where mill girls toiled laboriously for half the day and maddeningly loud shuttle looms—with their noisy clunker clunk, clunker clunk, clunker clunk—bellowed in rooms that were hot and crowded. And strangely, I was thinking about all of this as I slept. In the dream, I was thinking about the mills, about the workers, about hydropower, in what was a sort of running historical narration going on in my suicidal mind in this most crazy of dreams. And now, this utilitarian river, with some help from gravity, would be put to practical use once again, this time to kill me.

I remember thinking how dark it was, even for nighttime. In that darkness I began to question my decision to go to that bridge to end it. That is, I questioned my choice of bridge, not the decision to end my life; to me, death was already a fait accompli; jumping was a mere formality. And while standing on that imagined bridge I thought, we are all dead already anyway. We are in fact the walking dead, wandering through a vast desert of civilization filled with mirages beckoning us with sexy but ultimately empty apparitions. The apparitions are real enough to us, but they are devoid of meaning.

I kept looking down at the river and realized it was the only thing in the universe that was real. I wasn't even real. But the river was real, and it was reality itself; it was fate itself; and it was waiting to swallow me whole and carry me out to the ocean where I'd float forever.

I could faintly see the outline of jagged rocks protruding from the surface of a frenzied current. Not far enough of a drop, I thought. Then I began thinking about the few people I knew of who had gone over in fatal freefall in the past couple of years. Was it three dead? I wondered. Yeah, three. But was it three who went over, or four? Is the success rate 100% or 75%? It mattered.

As I was trying to figure out the collective batting average of the bridge’s leapers, I suddenly arrested my thoughts. This was exactly the sort of behavior that got me in trouble in the first place. Too much Goddamn thinking. Catching myself in the act was all the cue I needed. As I fell faster and faster towards the water and serrated rocks below, I thought about what my death certificate ought to say for a cause of death instead of just “massive head trauma” or “drowning” or some such nonsense. I struggled for a moment before thinking the words, ‘acute pensiveness.’ It was all I could come up with under the circumstances. Inelegant, but accurate. Truth matters. I was going to die just how I had lived: over-thinking, and about things you wouldn’t expect given that I was either about to die, or survive with injuries that would make me regret that I hadn’t.

I hit the water. It was even darker now than before.

~Max

3 comments:

  1. words evade me in my effort to convey how this post affects me. do you write creatively? this is potent stuff. i'm currently working on a novel and, i've got to say, this prose makes me self-conscious. you're brilliant.
     
    i agree with you in the fact that we're already dead. through different experiences--some drug-related, some not--i have come to believe that time does not flow on its own and is not linear. in some other reality, right now, our lives have already passed and we're already dead. we exist in millions of other realities simultaneously and this human life is like a median between them all. through years of de-sensitivity we block out the more alarming connections, but they're still there waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just before I wrote this comment I drifted back into reality, you post takes me way back where I once pictured images of what you have described of darkness.
    Your writing is excellent,
     
    Till next post Max
     
    Take Much Care
     
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the kind words. I do not usually have the time write for myself, unfortunately. Most of my writing is on politics and world affairs, which I enjoy, but it is too much sometimes. I fear we are slowly forgetting how to take leisure time for ourselves (myself included); and when we do take time, many of us make poor use of it. And there are all these things in our lives that are supposed to make living easier, that are supposed to free up time for us, but instead they just fuck it up more by making everything more hectic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails