3.03.2010

Become An Ordained Minister Today!



I, Wolfgang Spitzer, have just been ordained a minister through the Universal Life Church. My new status as a reverend is something I plan to take very seriously. This means that I will now be available to perform such sacred rites as marriage, baptisms, and funeral services. Hell, I will even do exorcisms if the price is right. I encourage all readers of this post to follow suit by becoming an ordained minister today. You are literally just one click away from being granted the same official status as those who have spent countless years studying useless religious dogma. And why shouldn’t you be a reverend? Give me one good reason.

Here is a quote from my new church’s website:


"The Universal Life Church believes that all faiths are best served by the freedom and choice to become ordained online. This includes the freedom to perform weddings, baptisms or funerals for friends and family, regardless of your spiritual or religious denomination. We believe that you have the right to worship your God without intolerance or antiquated religious dogma."


I will just go ahead and assume that the church’s stated belief in the individual’s “right to worship" any personal understanding of god must also include the right not to worship a god, which means that atheists should be worthy of reverend status as well. Does the idea of an atheist reverend seem like too much of an oxymoron for you? I can already foresee the skepticism of my hardcore atheist brethren out there. They may something like: “But Wolfgang, I am wary of aligning myself with any institution that calls itself a church or a religion.” Well, get the fuck over it. Just think of how fun it could be to remove your “official” ministerial business card from your wallet the next time you find yourself in a heated religious debate with a firm believer.

Seriously though, if enough people choose to become ordained this way, and at least pretend to take their new role seriously, the title of reverend may eventually become completely meaningless. And that is one goal I am happy to work towards.


Signed,

Rev. Wolfgang Spitzer

7 comments:

  1. Damn son -- a lot of us already beat you to the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am aware that there are millions who have beaten me to the punch here, but there are still many non-reverends out there. Just doing my small part.

    And truth be told, I knew of this organization long ago, but just never got around to the whole ordainment thing until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Discordianism. Everyone can be a pope in that religion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I will just go ahead and assume that the church’s stated belief in the individual’s “right to worship" any personal understanding of god must also include the right not to worship a god, which means that atheists should be worthy of reverend status as well."

    I agree. Landover or Subgenius, do similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. I like these organizations, they need to exist for a balance, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/13/2010

    I just got ordained in the church of Deism myself. I love these internet churches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/11/2010

    Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails